The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

In’s and Out’s of 2024

Addison Lucas

I’m a shameless January fan. As soon as the clock strikes 12 on December 31st, I find myself saying those same familiar words, “New year new me”. Some people eat grapes, or lentils, or drag a suitcase around the neighborhood, to ensure good luck in the upcoming year. I, however, make overly optimistic resolutions. 

Resolutions are a great way to kick off the new year. The excitement of a new commitment or change offers a sense of motivation like no other.

This past month a popular trend given the name in’s and out’s of 2024 took the TikTok world by storm. The trend encourages thinking about what to eliminate from this year, and what to keep in. From declaring neon out and leopard print in, to politics and lifestyle, everything is fair game.

One of the most popular in’s I’ve observed is bows. Hairstyles, pets, water bottles, or even food, slap a bow on just about anything to make it all the more chic and girly. As a society filled with girly girls, we seem to be leaning more towards feminine trends this year like pink, bows, and all things girlhood. It’s comforting to know that even if you’re not a little girl, and your mom doesn’t style your hair anymore, anyone can put on a bow and feel that childlike joy again. 

Wellness is also huge this year. 2024 will be the year of health and wealth as impulse shopping and unintentional phone scrolling are out. While impulse shopping does spark a sense of excitement, the purchases begin to add up. Before you know it your bank account is begging for a break and the closet is pleading for some breathing air. This year try to be intentional about purchases, and give a new meaning to the term “purchase confirmed”. 

I too have fallen victim to the TikTok plague and am ready for an active recovery. This year it’s time to cut the screen time in half and spend time productively. Productivity is different for everyone,  maybe this means going for a walk, doing homework, or doing the chores your mom keeps insisting to do. The point is to stop draining time and battery with meaningless scrolling and do something that you can cross off of an agenda at the end of the day.

Another declared in of 2024 is being a self-proclaimed lover instead of a harsh critic. We are often inclined to make unfair judgments about other people without even having the pleasure of knowing them. Before commenting or thinking negatively of someone else, why not ask “What does it matter to me? There is virtually no benefit of judging someone else, all it brings is negative energy and bad karma. If it makes them happy, let them proceed with no shame and no ridicule. Leave the negative energy in 2023 and let’s start the year off with love. 

This trend of In’s and Out’s is one of my personal favorites because it focuses on reflection and being intentional about desires for this year. It also encourages forming unique, individualized opinions unaltered by other people. Whether it be bows, wellness practices or changing your social philosophy, all are welcomed to express themselves the way they choose. The beauty of this trend is the variability in it. Everyone is free to work on achieving the best and most authentic version of themselves, through a plethora of different ways.