The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Sweet and Savory

Sarah Carreño

Nothing brings Lourdes girls together like indulging in their classmates’ cuisines. Two notable seniors, Alessandra Martinez and Laura Calvache have made a name for themselves by sharing their sweet and savory treats with the school.

Calvache runs a baking business called Baker’s Delights. Using her family’s recipes, she shares her favorite sweets with her community. Brownies and alfajores, which are Peruvian cookies filled with dulce de leche, are two of her most popular orders.

“I started baking during the pandemic because I needed something to do, and I ended up falling in love with it,” Calvache said. “From there, I decided that I wanted to start this business to share my baking with my friends and family.”

From Nutella cupcakes, to blondies and brookies, Calvache works to satisfy her classmates’ “sweet tooth.” She spends about 7-8 hours a week working to provide her loyal customers with the best treats possible.

Calvache makes her alfajores according to the season! These are some Valentine’s Day ones. (Alexa Sabogal)

While Calvache’s primary ingredients may include sugar and flour, Martinez’s tend to be more salty. Ale’s Charcuterie works to provide customers with beautiful charcuterie boards for their parties and events. Using a combination of different cold cuts, fruits, cheeses, and crackers, Martinez is able to make a stunning creation with each board she assembles.

“I make every board to fit the customer’s exact desires,” Martinez said. “In the end, all I want is for them to be able to celebrate on special occasions while enjoying their specially made board.” 

Martinez makes about 2-3 boards a week. Each board takes hours to make with her delicate and thoughtful process.

Martinez sells her charcuterie boxes to students at school. These boxes are perfect for a quick snack! (Alexa Sabogal)

Both these students have been able to take what they love and turn it into a full business. They work tirelessly to ensure delicious treats and satisfaction for their customers. Calvache and Martinez have definitely made themselves known and loved at school. 

“I’ve ordered from both Ale and Laura, and I can say that I have never been disappointed,” senior Samantha Garciga said. “They are both very talented and I would definitely recommend ordering from either one.”

Whether it’s for a sweet treat or a savory snack, these dedicated seniors are there to satisfy the needs of their customers. Their menus are regularly updated on their instagrams: @alescharcuterie and @bakersdelights. Make sure to check out their creations!