The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Lola’s Egg-stravaganza!

School- Wide Service Project is egg-star special.
Volunteers+from+all+grade+levels+helped+make+Lola%E2%80%99s+Egg-stravaganza+an+unforgettable+afternoon+for+the+children+of+Matter+Academy+Kiwanis.+Starting+from+the+left+is+Isabella+Cardelle%2C+Maria+Pesant%2C+Mia+Barreneche%2C+Alexa+Nicole+Bellon%2C+Jade+Cabrera%2C+Claire+Rougeau%2C+Carolina+Lorenzo%2C+Layla+Chin-See%2C+Alessandra+Rodriguez%2C+and+Angelique+Rodriguez.+
Isabella Baquerizo
Volunteers from all grade levels helped make Lola’s Egg-stravaganza an unforgettable afternoon for the children of Matter Academy Kiwanis. Starting from the left is Isabella Cardelle, Maria Pesant, Mia Barreneche, Alexa Nicole Bellon, Jade Cabrera, Claire Rougeau, Carolina Lorenzo, Layla Chin-See, Alessandra Rodriguez, and Angelique Rodriguez.

The Holiday celebrations at school continued with this year’s first “Lola’s Egg-Stravaganza”. The event was an Easter-themed take on ‘Lola’s Enchanted Forest’, which made its successful debut in December. The special occasion called for students from Matter Academy Kiwanis to be paired with a corresponding volunteer, who would take them around to participate in the events and activities provided.

“We had 350 girls volunteer, but we had different roles for them. For example, we had guides, which were the volunteers who walked around with the children and we had our Easter egg coordinators, which were the girls that built all of the Easter eggs and placed them,” Student Activities Director Mrs. Ana Figueras. “Additionally, since most of our clubs chose to have a booth or an activity, club members were the booth moderators, in charge of that specific activity or game.” (Emma Velasco)

Volunteer guides, junior Isabella Cabrera and sophomore Liane Sotolongo, reading books and playing with stickers along their Matter Academy kid. (Isabella Baquerizo)

“I think the goal of this event was not only to bring the joy and hopefulness of Easter to these adorable children, but also as a school, we were looking to bring more opportunities of pre-approved service hours to our campus,” Mrs. Figueras said. (Isabella Baquerizo)

Members of the Creative Writing Club moderated by Ms. Kathleen Halliday participating in the Easter spirit by entertaining the little “Kiwanis” with their Can Toss activity. (Emma Velasco)

“It was such an inspiring experience and I loved helping moderate the Rho Kappa booth,” senior Emily Rodriguez (pictured in the middle) said. “We had a fun time with the kids while they played with our inflatable ring toss.” (Isabella Baquerizo )

“I had the best time walking around with Elias,” senior Isabella Guzman said. “We stopped by a lot of the booths and he participated in almost all the activities. It was such a fulfilling experience and I think we both left with the biggest smiles on our faces.” (Emma Velasco)

Starting from the left is Mrs. Gloria Vital-Valdez, Mrs. Ana Figueras, Ms. Annie Puig, Mrs. Melissa Fernandez, Mrs. Michelle Miñoso, Mrs. Maria del Carmen Vazquez, and Mrs. Jennifer Martinez: all contributing to the success of the event as moderators, organizers, and volunteers. (Emma Velasco)

Egg-stravanganza volunteer, sophomore Eliana Vargas, posing alongside the delicious Easter themed treats provided by the school, for the Matter Academy Kiwanis students to indulge in. (Emma Velasco)

“I think we surpassed all our goals because it truly brought smiles not just to the one hundred and 20ish kids that attended, but also to all the volunteers,” Mrs. Figueras said. “It was so inspiring to see people leave on such a high, so happy and filled with joy, because it not only feels good to see those kids enjoy themselves, but it feels good to give back.” (Isabella Baquerizo)