The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

DJ Domination

DJ+Domination
Mia Rodriguez and Emma Diaz

First came art, then music, and now, the entertainment evolution has led to the DJing phenomenon. Instead of babysitting or making coffee, the new high school side hustle is being a part-time DJ.

The newly popularized art form has risen to obsession-level popularity with entertainers like Dom Dolla and John Summit paving the way for the rapidly growing industry. 

”It’s fairly easy to pick up, it just takes practice and equipment,” junior Andrea Millán said. The beauty in this art is that just about anyone can learn to do it, despite skill level. Like any trade or talent, practice makes perfect. DJing is also extremely versatile and individualized as everyone has their own style of mixing tracks and transitioning songs.” 

Junior Andrea Milan showcasing her DJ skills
(Courtesy of Andrea Milan)

The fascination surrounding DJs also stems from the House Music genre renaissance currently happening. Whether it be in a party setting, in the car, or even while exercising, House Music seems to be an immediate energy booster. 

“I like listening to house music because it’s a party in music form and gets me excited for the day,” junior Olivia Pizzi said. “Everyone loves a good party, and DJs are always at the center of them, serving the right music and vibes.”

The profession blurs the line between toxic and healthy as DJs are constantly urged to partake in the party scene. While party culture does have the potential to be harmful to DJs, the profession is not just about partying, it is more about the music and the environment. This could be beneficial to those who are better suited for a high-energy environment as opposed to a corporate office job. 

“Like anything it could become unhealthy but I think it just depends on the person, not the profession,” sophomore Grace Basto said. 

Some people are just not made for the quiet 9 to 5 life. Some crave the screams of a live audience or the adrenaline rush of performing live.

“Djing lets me express the way I feel and connect to the audience in a really special way,” junior Mia Prina said. “Music truly has the power to move people and connect them in ways that wouldn’t be possible without the help of a good DJ.”

Current junior Mia Prina getting a head start on her DJ Career
(Courtesy of Mia Prina)

DJs do more than just transition and assemble sets. They have the power to unite people with the music they bring to life, the exhilaration their audiences feel, and the utter thrill in that last beat drop.